The Latest on the Floods in Mozambique

Cyclone Kenneth dumped heavy rains in northern Mozambique on Sunday, flooding parts of a provincial capital, prompting evacuations and complicating efforts by rescuers to reach remote areas. Thirty-eight people have been confirmed dead in the aftermath, the second deadly cyclone to hit the country in six weeks. Mozambique’s disaster management institute said Monday the death toll, previously at five, had risen as the country braced for more rain. Many roads were washed out, and aid officials said they had been able to reach some badly affected areas only by helicopter. Rains were heaviest in Pemba, the capital of Cabo Delgado Province, which lost power. Rescue teams were evacuating residents, and 4,500 people have sought shelter in refuge centers. Officials express concern that worse could be ahead. Many fear a repeat of the mass floods that killed some 600 people last month in central Mozambique; Cyclone Idai, unleashed rains that caused two rivers to overflow into towns and villages, stranding many others for days on rooftops and trees.

SOURCES: THE NEW YORK TIMES

Posted inNEWS